What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Custom EXE/XML Sensor not showing channels

Votes:

I created a new custom xml sensor (powershell script) on our DMZ probe, which gets data from a website. I set the sensor to create the logfile everytime it runs. The log shows the xml as it should look like but the sensor shows "No data since startup". Any ideas?

custom custom-sensor exe-xml no-data-since-startup prtg

Created on Oct 2, 2015 9:18:38 AM

5 Replies

Votes:

Hello Florian,
we appreciate your contact.

Kindly share the output of the script.

You can use the "Code" snipped to better format the result when you paste it here on the KB:

{{{ Your code/text }}}

Best Regards,

Created on Oct 2, 2015 10:34:39 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Hi, my Output looks like this:

Created on Oct 2, 2015 11:29:51 AM

Last change on Dec 28, 2021 1:42:17 PM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Florian,

The output looks fine, I receive a working sensor(In 15.3.19.4028) with that result, but you could encounter issues if:

• There's additional output after or prior to the <prtg> </prtg>.
  • The script takes too long to run. (There are cmdlets which allow you to measure the execution time)
  • The security context/configuration prevents the script from running correctly within PRTG. (You can check the actual output of the script within PRTG configuring the EXE Result within the Sensor's settings. (The output is stored under C:\ProgramData\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor\Logs (Sensors) ))

Best Regards,

Created on Oct 5, 2015 6:09:31 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Hello Luciano,

I updated from 15.3.19.3882 to Version 15.4.20.4346 and readded the Custom EXE/XML sensor and now I get the output in PRTG. I didn't change anything in the script in the meantime.

The EXE Result was correct before the update, there was no additional output prior or after <prtg> </prtg> and the Skript didn't run longer than mit defined timeout.

Thank you for your tips.

Kind regards,

Created on Oct 16, 2015 7:06:19 AM

Last change on Oct 16, 2015 8:35:02 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Hello Florian,
thank you for your feedback.

That's quite unusual, since you mention that you've performed no change to the script. Please let me know if you encounter any further issues regarding this matter.

Best Regards,

Created on Oct 16, 2015 11:07:37 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.