What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

alert on multiple sensors

Votes:

Hello,

We need to implement an alerting that is triggered by multiple sensors on multiple devices. What is the best way to do this?

Best regards, sam

alert multiple sensors

Created on Oct 5, 2015 1:21:55 PM

5 Replies

Votes:

The easiest way to set a trigger on sensors which are on different devices is to create a library. In thereu can filter the sensors by tag, type, priority...
For example you can set a special tag on all sensors you want to have in your library, create it with that filter and then set the trigger on it.

Regards

Created on Oct 6, 2015 12:07:12 PM

Votes:

thank you for your reply!

how can i set a dependency for the library? and even more important, how to only send alerts if more than X sensors are down in a library? is this even possible?

Created on Oct 6, 2015 1:47:27 PM

Votes:

Hi samfre,

Libraries do not have a status. This is why you cannot put a dependency on libraries and will not be able to send alerts if a certain number of sensors fails. You might want to work with the Sensor Factory Sensor at this point. This will allow you to create error conditions depending on the number of failing devices.

Best regards, Felix

Created on Oct 8, 2015 1:50:28 PM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Felix

Nice, I managed to build my own custom sensor with the Sensor Factory which monitors different sensors from different devices. But I can't figure out how to write a proper Status Definition to alert if more than X sensors are down. How would I for example throw an alert (put the main Sensor to down) if eleven of my (sub-) sensors are down?

Created on Oct 9, 2015 12:05:10 PM

Votes:

Sam,

You can find the status definition on the manual page.

In your case you will require the syntax

( status(1031) + status(1032) + status(1033) + status(1034)....status(last) ) >= 110000

This changes the factory sensor to a Down status if at least any 11 of the sensors with IDs 1031 , 1032 , 1033 , or 1034...last are Down . Otherwise the factory sensor shows an Up status.

Best regards, Felix

Created on Oct 12, 2015 5:50:30 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.