What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Monitoring VPN tunnel on Cisco ASA 5505

Votes:

Hi, I am currently trialling PRTG for a requirement we have to monitor a clients site to site VPN link. I can successfully poll interfaces via SNMP and receive stats for the physical interfaces. The PRTG software detects a virtual interface named "Adaptive Security Appliance 'Virtual 254'" which I assume is the VPN interface but it shows 0kb traffic even when I am creating load on the link. Any ideas how I can monitor specifically how much bandwidth is being used on the VPN tunnel?

Many thanks in advance for any help

cisco-5505 cisco-asa-vpn prtg

Created on Oct 11, 2015 12:07:51 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hi there,

Please try to manually add the SNMP Cisco ASA VPN Traffic Sensor to the Cisco ASA device. PRTG will perform a meta scan to list all available connections and you can assure that you pick the correct VPN tunnel. This sensor will list the incoming and outgoing traffic.

Best regards, Felix

Created on Oct 13, 2015 1:10:48 PM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.