What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Cache rebuid; how long wil it approx take?

Votes:

We're planning on rebuilding our PRTG cache as described in this article:
KB:My PRTG has stopped graphing

We've got about 9500 sensors in this PRTG installation and we need this to be done within a night (0:00 AM to 7:00 AM). Can anyone here tell me if there is a chance that this is possible to fix this within the stated time span, or will this action take more than 6 to 7 hours?

cache prtg rebuild

Created on Oct 12, 2015 8:08:12 AM

Last change on Oct 12, 2015 8:16:16 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

1 Reply

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello mvandervegt,
we appreciate your inquiry.

I'm afraid it's hard to tell, it will also depend on the amount of system resources, installed PRTG Version and how long you're keeping historic data, there's no easy way of estimating, but with sufficient system resources, a lot can be done in 7 hours. You can check the current status of the recalculation within PRTG under: Setup > PRTG Status > System Status > Background Tasks.

The Cache Recalculation doesn't prevent PRTG's operation, due to resource utilization the performance may decrease but the monitoring operation will still work as expected, live graphs will be unavailable/incomplete until the process finishes.

Kindly note that in some cases, this elevated CPU utilization on the Core Server may lead to Sensors in a temporary unknown state.

Created on Oct 12, 2015 8:20:44 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Last change on Oct 12, 2015 8:35:44 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.