What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Configure auto discovery before installation

Votes:

Hello PRTG Team.

First a huge thank for this powerful software.

My question is about Auto discovery and Sensors. When I launched for the first time PRTG software, I arrived on the Ajax Web page and I followed the guide. And before I was able to configure anything, a first discovery of my network began and the entire topology appeared.

How can I specify the IP range I would like to scan, the sensors I'm interested in, and the devices I would like to find ?

I know that we can do that once we are in the menu, by deleting sensors and devices, but is it possible to configure that before anything is sent through the network ? The end of this configuration is for Consulting tasks, as the network is not ours, we have to pollute it as less as possible. So we are not really interested in Server devices, HTTP Port, etc..

Thank you very much. BR,

Schmitt Gabriel

devices discovery installation prtg sensors

Created on Oct 16, 2015 9:48:49 AM

1 Reply

Votes:

Dear Mr Schmitt

If you want to discover a specific set of sensors, please configure a sample device and save a device template using that device.

Please use this template for further auto-discoveries. You can perform auto-discoveries using multiple device templates at the same time. An auto-discovery can also be performed for a range of IPs if you do it on a group level (instead on a device level.)

Please find more information about the auto-discovery here. Once the basic concept is clear, please read more about device templates here.

For a start, please goto Devices / Add Auto-Discovery Group.

Created on Oct 19, 2015 11:08:17 AM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.