What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Automatic delete of sensors while auto-discovery is on.

Votes:

Hi,

We have a lot of sensors running in our environment and i was wondering if it is possible that sensors discovered with auto-discovery are deleted automaticly when they are already removed. For example, if a vm is sensored in a vcenter and i delete the vm in the vcenter, is it possible prtg deletes the sensor of the vm automaticly?

Greetings,

Killaars

(PS. Sorry for my bad English.)

auto-discovery delete prtg15

Created on Oct 20, 2015 8:50:19 AM

4 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi Killaars,

This will not be possible I'm afraid. The vCenter would need to send an HTTP request to trigger the deletion via the API as soon as a virtual machine has been removed. This would be possible with this call:

/api/deleteobject.htm?id=objectid&approve=1

Please use this API call with care, this cannot be undone afterwards!

Additionally, you might want to acknowledge particular alarms by following this article.

Best regards, Felix

Created on Oct 20, 2015 10:29:53 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Felix,

Thanks for the quick reaction. I will have a look into it and hope it's gonna work.

Best regards,

Killaars

Created on Oct 20, 2015 10:51:19 AM

Votes:

Has the feature to remove deleted VMs, from a sensor list in a vCenter auto-discovered device without the API call?

Thank You, Richard

Created on Dec 3, 2020 10:32:43 AM

Votes:

Hello,

I'm afraid that there is no such feature in PRTG to automatically remove a device when it doesn't exist anymore in vCenter. The API call remains the only option to automate this task.

Kind regards.

Created on Dec 3, 2020 2:37:09 PM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.