What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How to set a sensor to Alarm only after the Down state last 60+ seconds

Votes:

I would like to set some sensors up so they will only alarm after the sensor has been in a down state for a extended period of time. Is this possible, and if so how? I see that there is a threshold for notifications, but it appears to be for Execution type channels and not the "Down" channel which is what I'm referring to.

alarms notifications prtg8 sensors thresholds

Created on Oct 27, 2015 5:52:20 PM

4 Replies

Votes:

Dear Great Memento

The alarm of a sensor in the sense of turning red can be delayed by up to five scanning cycles. The notification (email, ticket, ...) can be delayed for much longer.

The actual down status however will trigger when the sensor is down, delayed by up to five failed scans. It cannot be delayed by an extended period of time.

Created on Oct 28, 2015 12:21:37 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Can you explain where exactly I can set the delay by up to five failed scans? I checked under the scanning interval and it's just time based for when to scan, not the number of failed scans. I'm using PRTG v8. Maybe this version doesn't have the feature you speak of.

Created on Oct 29, 2015 4:47:10 PM

Votes:

Dear mementothegreat

This option was introduced last year in PRTG 14. The current PRTG version is version 15.

Created on Oct 29, 2015 5:25:29 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Is it an option to use a State Trigger and set 'When sensor state is DOWN for at least xxx seconds perform notifocation yyy' ?

Created on Oct 30, 2015 10:03:19 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.