What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

SMTP relay only works for one user

Votes:

I'm trying to set up PRTG to use an existing Exchange server as an SMTP relay server for notifications. I've configured all the settings in Setup > System Administration > Notification Delivery, and when I set the SMTP Relay Username and Password to be my own personal Active Directory credentials, I can send a test notification successfully. The log shows "Status sending Email: OK", and I receive the test message.

But I don't want to use my own personal credentials for this, so I'm trying to change the SMTP Relay username and password to another account. No matter what other account I pick for this, the test massage does not get sent, and the log shows "Error sending 'EMail': Client does not have permissions to send as this sender". This tells me that the identity being used to authenticate to the SMTP server do not match the from address of the email. But in the Notification Delivery settings I've changed both the Sender E-Mail and SMTP Realy username fields to match, so where is the mismatch occurring? Do I have a hidden configuration somewhere that is using my personal email address as the "From" address, so that's the only one that works?

Thanks, Dave

notifications relay smtp

Created on Oct 27, 2015 6:18:09 PM

2 Replies

Votes:

Dear David

Please check the settings of the according AD email account settings, if it is configured to allow email relay.

Created on Oct 28, 2015 1:21:30 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Yes, the mail server is configured to allow SMTP relay from any user.

However, I've discovered that it also allows SMTP relays without authentication, so the easier solution was simply to change the PRTG configuration to not send any authentication. I'm going to leave it at that and call it good, but it is still puzzling that it won't work with authentication.

Dave

Created on Oct 28, 2015 8:41:14 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.