What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

I cannot add VMware sensors because of "wrong" password although it is correct. What can I do?

Votes:

I have an issue with credentials and the configuration of my VMware sensors. For example, when I try to add a VMware Virtual Machine (SOAP) sensor, I get an error message that registering cannot be completed because of a wrong username or password. The Add Sensor dialog fails and I cannot add the VMware sensor.

I double-checked the credentials for VMware that I provided in the settings of the device that represents my vCenter in PRTG. They are correct but do not work. What can be the reason for this? Do I have to consider something regarding the vCenter password?

add-sensor credentials error prtg vmware vmwaresensor

Created on Oct 29, 2015 3:34:29 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jan 4, 2023 2:12:54 PM by  Brandy Greger [Paessler Support]

1 Reply

Accepted Answer

Votes:

This article applies as of PRTG 22

Resolving the "wrong" credentials issue when adding VMware sensors

Before you can add VMware sensors to PRTG, you must provide credentials for VMware in the settings of the device that you want to add the sensor to and that represents your target VMware server. Usually, it works if you use the credentials of a user with sufficient rights (for example, read-only) to obtain statistics from VMware, but note the following:

Do not use special characters in single sign-on (SSO) passwords.

Otherwise, you will not be able to add the sensor at all because the Add Sensor dialog aborts with an error message about an incorrect username or password. The following special characters do not work in SSO passwords for vCenter servers:

• Non-ASCII characters (including the euro ( € ) sign, for example)
  • Ampersand ( & )
  • Semicolon ( ; )
  • Double quotation mark ( " )
  • Single quotation mark ( ' )
  • Circumflex ( ^ )
  • Backslash ( \ )
  • Percent ( % )
  • Angle brackets ( < > )

Change the password for your vCenter accordingly and use this password in the settings of the parent device in PRTG.

Note: This issue is not caused by PRTG but is a known bug of VMware. For details, see the VMware Knowledge Base article vSphere 5.5 Single Sign-On [email protected] password issues (2060637).

Created on Oct 29, 2015 3:36:12 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

Last change on Dec 29, 2022 11:09:34 AM by  Brandy Greger [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.