What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

placeholder for upstream group

Votes:

Hello guys and girls,

We have a customer who has it's own probe. This customer has several companies, which we have devided as follow:

Main company (probe) Company a (group) Location a (group) Location b (group) Company b Location a Location b

and on (you get the point -)). For this customer we added some speed triggers / notifications and error notifications. We use the default e-mail template, which i am trying to customize a bit into our own liking.

Whenever we get an e-mail we see in the parents field the probe name with groupname in which the event was triggered and eventually the device with ip-address. The challenge lies that some of the underlying companies have the same location with devices, which forces us to look at the ip-adres in order to find the correct device.

I was wondering if there is a placeholder which i can add, to see the main group (in this example a place holder for Company a) in the e-mail notification.

notifications placeholders prtg

Created on Nov 3, 2015 10:15:23 AM

2 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

So here's the structure again, using lists:

• Main Company (Probe)
    • Company A (Group)
      • Location A (Group)
      • Location B (Group)

I assume that once a device of Location B of Company A triggers a notification, you want to know that the notification was basically triggered by Company A, right? That can be done; you'll have to use Location B's comment tab and enter Company A there. Then you can use %commentsgroup to implement it into your notification :)

Let me know if I got you wrong/right :)

Created on Nov 3, 2015 2:22:08 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Last change on Nov 3, 2015 2:23:00 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Stephan,

You where right on the spot! Just implemented it and works like a charm!

Thanks for the fast and good support!

Kind regards, Roy

Created on Nov 4, 2015 7:18:33 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.