What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How does one remove data spikes?

Votes:

I have a sensor (Printer Beta) that tracks pages printed. When I started using PRTG the printer had over 400k pages. At some point however, PRTG recorded 200,000 pages which messes up the graphs. And I'd rather not manually set the X axis as that'll require constant attention over time to maintain as the page count shifts upward. I have the spike filter set to a min of 400k, but the 200k reading remains.

How do I remove this piece of spurious data?

printer snmp spike-filter

Created on Nov 4, 2015 4:40:41 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello Enzeder,
we appreciate your contact.

If the inaccurate 200,000 spike value is being displayed in the "Total Page Count" channel, you must configure the following setting for the "Spike Filter" setting of the channel:

Spike FilterEnable Filtering
Spike Filter Max. Value (#)199999
Spike Filter Min. Value (#)0

This means that only values above 0 and below 199,999 will be considered valid by the sensor. This will also impact historic readings/values.

If your SNMP Printer sensor was deployed prior version 15.2.17/15.3.17, you should pause the current sensor and add it anew as there were changes/improvements to the sensor.

Best Regards,

Created on Nov 4, 2015 3:40:20 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Hi Luciano,
the 200k page count reading is too low, so I enabled filtering and set the Min Value to 400k. I left the Max Value empty as that will continue to climb as the printer is used. However, I still see the 200k data in graphs.

I'm currently running 15.4.20, but was running 15.1.x. I have added the new SNMP Printer sensor. Is it possible to move the data from the SNMP Printer Beta to the new SNMP Printer sensor?

Thanks.

Created on Nov 5, 2015 6:01:56 AM

Votes:

Hello Enzeder,

kindly note that it is not possible to "move" sensor's results from one sensor to the other. We suggest pausing the old sensor to keep it's historic data.

Best Regards,

Created on Nov 5, 2015 3:03:37 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.