What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Why does Paessler remove the Mobile Web GUI from PRTG?

Votes:

My PRTG installation shows a note that the Mobile Web GUI is deprecated and not maintained anymore. There is also the information that Paessler will completely remove this slim user interface soon.

When will PRTG's Mobile Web GUI disappear? What alternatives are there to access PRTG with mobile devices? Do I have to update my web browser to use the PRTG web interface?

apps mobile mobile-web-gui prtg web-interface

Created on Nov 6, 2015 2:48:33 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

Last change on Nov 16, 2015 8:13:16 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

12 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Update: We have completely removed the Mobile Web GUI from PRTG. After you have updated to PRTG version 16.3.26, you will not be able to access PRTG via this interface.

This article applies to PRTG Network Monitor 15.4.21 or later

The Mobile Web GUI Is Deprecated

More than 5 years ago with PRTG version 8 we initially released a “Mini-HTML” user interface for mobile and low bandwidth usage of PRTG. One year later with PRTG version 9 we did a full rewrite of the Mobile Web GUI, based on jQuery Mobile. This mobile user interface has been an elegant way to access monitoring data while on the go with, for example, Android 2.1, iOS 3.2, Firefox Mobile Blackberry 6, or Windows Phone 7. You could also access your PRTG server with outdated browsers like Internet Explorer 6 because the mobile interface does not make use of CSS or Ajax functions.

As you can see on these version numbers, a lot of time has passed since those days and especially mobile platforms developed further significantly—as did PRTG Network Monitor.

So now it is time to say goodbye to PRTG’s Mobile Web GUI. We want to concentrate our work on things that you and other users benefit from most.

Please use our popular PRTG mobile apps, they are so much more than an alternative to the Mobile Web GUI!

Removal of the PRTG Mobile Web GUI: Change Your Mobile PRTG Access Now

We do not maintain the Mobile Web GUI anymore and have completely removed this user interface from PRTG in version 16.3.26. You will not be able to connect to your PRTG server via the Mobile Web GUI after you have updated to this version.

To access PRTG from your smartphone or tablet, please use our mobile apps for PRTG for Android or iOS. To access PRTG’s fully featured Ajax web interface, please use a supported web browser, which are the current versions of Google Chrome, Firefox, and Internet Explorer 11 (dated: Nov. 2015).

Created on Nov 13, 2015 5:17:49 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jul 24, 2017 11:27:16 AM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi - some time ago you added 'Check Now' functionality to the IOS mobile app - it never worked properly and was subsequently removed.

This meant the only way to perform a Check Now on an alarm was to click on the Mobile Web GUI button within the app and use Check Now from there

If you remove the Mobile Web GUI then it will no longer be possible to Check Now on an alarm from (for example) an iPhone, where the screen is too small to realistically use the full web interface

Please ensure that working Check Now functionality is returned to the Mobile App

Created on Nov 25, 2015 9:36:24 AM

Votes:

Patrick, the "Check Now" function is actually included in current versions of the PRTG iOS app, it is a bit hidden though, in the "More" - menu (top right corner of the app): http://i.imgur.com/y0Xsf4C.png

Created on Nov 25, 2015 12:53:51 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks - it used to be in much more obvious place alongside the pause and acknowledge icons

Created on Nov 26, 2015 8:51:33 AM

Votes:

When I receive an email notification, it contains a link that takes me to the mobile site. This was useful because I could easily view this on my phone.

Now, it takes me to the mobile site, but that is deprecated and being removed. The link should either take me to the make site or ideally open the mobile app (I use Android) directly.

The last couple of releases seem to be removing the ability to customize and use the software how I like it. I understand needing to clean things up, but not at the cost of removing functionality that people use every day....

Created on Dec 7, 2015 4:49:22 PM

Votes:

Hello Lynn,
thank you for your contribution.

We're aware that the new beautiful HTML e-mail templates are currently pointing users to the mobile interface which is being discontinued. This will be resolved before the mobile interface is completely removed and the links in the notifications will be adjusted until then in further releases/updates.

Best Regards,

Created on Dec 9, 2015 1:18:10 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Hi, I'm missing a function on the iOS app too - how can I pause an entire group?

Thanks

Created on Jan 4, 2016 10:07:59 AM

Votes:

Hello, Pausing an entire group of devices is currently not possible in the PRTG iOS app. We do have that on the wish list though, and plan to implement this in a future version of the app. Please bear with us on this (we do not have a fixed date yet for this feature).

Created on Jan 4, 2016 11:35:44 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

It's too bad the mobile webgui is going away since the android app does not work with a non-standard port.

Created on Jan 18, 2016 7:39:55 AM

Votes:

Hello jhill8,
thank you for your reply.

When setting-up your connection to the Core Server within the PRTG for Android app, you're able to specify the protocol (HTTP/HTTPS) and the Port (enter value).

What exactly is preventing you from using a non-standard port number? Please don't hesitate to contact us via a Support Ticket if you continue to encounter any issues/difficulties.

Best Regards,

Created on Jan 18, 2016 8:18:50 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

As there were no solution for jhill8 message, there is no problem connecting to a non standard port with current Prtg server version and current Android version; however, this has to be configured at the server level. Like it is when connecting through the web with a standard browser, redirecting does not work.

In other words, if the PRTG server is listening on standard 443 port and that the enterprise UTM redirects the port 9443 (for example) to the 443 port, it is not possible to configure the connection in the Android app - it displays a very unhelpful message about an invalid password. Well, it's already disappointing that redirecting does not work but to display a generic - and misleading - error message whatever the real failure is not satisfying.

Created on Nov 27, 2018 4:36:27 PM

Votes:

Hello gpfr,
thank you for your reply.

Using different internal and external ports will indeed prevent the redirect from working, since PRTG doesn't know about the different external ports. If you use matching ports in PRTG (which can be configured using the Expert Configuration in the PRTG Administration Tool on the core server) this should work out fine.

But even if you don't, it should still be possible to configure the HTTPS Custom port within the Android App and it should be able to connect. You might run into issues if you try entering the HTTP port (because it will try and redirect) but if you enter the correct HTTPS port number directly it should simply work. Feel free to follow-up with a Support ticket if it doesn't.

Best Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on Nov 28, 2018 7:54:42 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Last change on Nov 28, 2018 7:55:17 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.