What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Set auto-discovery template to be used in API auto-discovery?

Votes:

Hello, I have certain devices that I would like to automate auto-discovery with a custom template using a custom port range for the SNMP traffic start and end interface port numbers. Reason for this is that I want to add physical interfaces only for SNMP traffic sensors. So my solution is to run a custom API script on my PRTG server on a scheduled basis. The script needs to do the following:

1. Identifies all relevant devices using API table call.
  2. Sets start and end port for SNMP interfaces using API.
  3. Sets the auto-discovery template to be used.
  4. Sets the port name template to be used using API.

I don't know how to do option 3.

Does anyone have any idea how to use a specific auto-discovery template with an API-initiated discovery? I see how to set the other object properties (port name template, start and end port) per the documentation but those are limited to string or number properties.

Alternatively, is there any other way to automatically add physical interfaces only for SNMP traffic sensors?

api auto-discovery physical-interface snmp-traffic

Created on Nov 6, 2015 9:43:44 PM

Last change on Sep 14, 2016 11:31:17 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello Jmoore,

I'm afraid that it will not be possible to only create particular SNMP traffic sensors based on a device template. Furthermore, the auto-discovery cannot be triggered with a specific template, sorry.

Best regards, Felix

Created on Nov 10, 2015 1:46:36 PM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.