What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PRTG flow feature request.

Votes:

Hello Paessler Team,

In the future, please consider allowing all flow sensors to work off one external channel definition file. (similar to the way you can add a value lookup for other sensors.) Inside that file it would be nice if the colour of the channel can be defined as well, instead of having to choose the colour for the edit channel settings dialog for each channel of each netflow.

Since you could then have all netflows standardized, it would be nice if we could a map object similar to "Live Graph (No Labels)" but with axis labels and no legend. This way we only need to enable the legend on one sensor which would save space.

Currently my organization maintains over 25 netflows all showing similar information for different connections. Each time we add a channel definition it is a lot of work to go in an add it to all the netflows.

Additionally last time I checked, you could not remove a channel from a flow sensor without deleting the sensor and re-creating it. That functionality would be nice as well.

Thanks for taking the time to consider my suggestions!

feature-request flow netflow prtg

Created on Nov 6, 2015 10:18:06 PM

Last change on Dec 2, 2021 8:20:22 AM by  Maike Guba [Paessler Support] (2,404) 2 1

3 Replies

Votes:

Dear Chris

Thank you for your feedback. Please allow me to comment why I ask you to not expect these feature requests to be implemented in the foreseeable future.

Instead of having a user work with definition files, we rather would look how we could improve the interface to allow such configuration. Some sensor settings can be easily edited in bulk via multi-edit, while other settings have to be done one by one.

PRTG uses its own database format, which is optimized for performance. This performance comes with some side-effects. Channels can be hidden, but not deleted.

That being said, we recognize the requests of our users to change settings without having to use the UI. We are looking for a good, general solution instead of adding the support of definition files.

Created on Nov 9, 2015 12:01:25 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Arne,

Thank you for pointing out the Multi-Edit functionality to me. This looks like it will do what I want as far as being able to edit multiple sensors and multiple channels at once! I apologize for not reading the manual thoroughly enough.

Please still consider my suggestion for a map view object that includes axis labeling but no legend. For now I realized I could create this effect by myself by layering "White box with black border" objects underneath my Graphs to give them an opaque background, which then allows me to cover the legend of the chart that above it, but this is rather little clumsy and takes extra time to manage.

Thanks for your reply.

Created on Nov 9, 2015 3:37:56 PM

Votes:

Dear Chris

We are careful to add any new map objects. If we have too many, the object menu gets too complex.

Originally, we just wanted to offer custom arrangements of tables and graphs. PRTG users began to 'abuse' the map editor for really sophisticated displays and quickly noticed the limitations of the map editor.

Instead of adding new objects, we rather like to focus on usability improvements and hope that more users will find it easier to create custom maps.

Created on Nov 10, 2015 12:26:08 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.