Are there any effects on the PRTG Enterprise Console when running large PRTG installations with lots of sensors? Will I experience lags, hangs, or other issues when surpassing a certain amount of devices, sensors, probes, and servers or does this number have no impact at all?
This article applies to PRTG Network Monitor 15 or later
Performance of the PRTG Enterprise Console in Large Installations
Important notice: The Enterprise Console (EC) is unsupported and deprecated as of PRTG 19.4.53. As of PRTG 19.4.54, the EC installer is removed from PRTG.
We strongly recommend that you switch to PRTG Desktop, our new alternative interface that you can use to connect to multiple PRTG servers to manage your entire network.
For information on how to uninstall the EC, see How to uninstall the PRTG Enterprise Console from the PRTG Server.
In general the Enterprise Console (EC) does not show any performance issues when you run a common PRTG installation with a Recommended Setup for Most PRTG Users. To obtain best performance with the PRTG Enterprise Console in very large installations, please see the information below.
General Performance Considerations
First, there are a few basic factors to be aware of that will always have some impact on the performance of the Enterprise Console, no matter whether you run 2,000 or 10,000 sensors:
- Overall performance of the system on which PRTG runs
- Connection between involved systems (for example, network speed and performance)
- Response times of the involved devices
- Configured interval for display refresh in PRTG
- Number of simultaneously opened devices
Successfully Tested Scenarios
We successfully run quite huge setups that are still good to handle in our labs:
- 10 Servers, running 5,000 Sensors on each instance
- 3 Servers, running 20,000 Sensors on each instance
Note: These tests are run under lab conditions. If you plan a large PRTG installation, please see this article.
Regarding the mentioned general factors before, it all comes down to what actions you perform in the Enterprise Console. Changing between several sensor's Overview tab does not have the same impact as having multiple-objects opened while loading the live data graph of one or several objects, because rendering of graphs consumes more processing power.
- System Requirements for PRTG Network Monitor (recommended setup for most users)
- Knowledge Base: How can I speed up PRTG—especially for large installations?
- Knowledge Base: Problems with the Enterprise Console. What can I do?