What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Factory sensor with a paused device

Votes:

Hi, I'm using factory sensor to aggregate information from multiple interfaces but one of this interfaces is in a paused state. How can I remove the warning state of the factory sensor (At least one source channel is paused or has no data.) ?

I would like to keep this old interface on the statistics (during one year).

I tried to do a custom status definition but no success ...

Thanks in advance,

Kind regards,

Marc

historic-data pause sensor-factory

Created on Nov 10, 2015 5:45:14 AM

7 Replies

Votes:

Hi Marc,

Please go into the sensor settings and check if the

If a sensor has no data | Calculate the factory channels and use zero as source value

option is enabled? This should fix the sensor's message.

Best regards, Felix

Created on Nov 10, 2015 8:21:52 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi, I already did this, but the sensor is still in warning state.

Thanks, Marc

Created on Nov 10, 2015 9:04:44 AM

Votes:

Hi Mark,

I was referring to the error handling, sorry for the mix-up. Unfortunately, it's not possible to remove the warning state from the sensor factory sensor. The only possibility to keep the data will be to pause the complete sensor and create a new one without the paused channel.

Best regards, Felix

Created on Nov 10, 2015 9:29:08 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Last change on Aug 19, 2019 12:44:04 PM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi, Is it not possible to use the custom status definition to do this ? Would this not be a bug ?

Thanks,

Marc

Created on Nov 10, 2015 9:46:14 AM

Votes:

Hi Marc,

I'm afraid that this is hard coded at this point and cannot be changed, sorry. The thought behind this warning status is that a summation will change as soon as a channel is added or removed and that the historical data would have been calculated based on different conditions. That's why adding a new sensor factory sensor with the adjusted channel settings will be the only possibility.

Best regards, Felix

Created on Nov 10, 2015 10:44:05 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Has this ever been changed? I routinely add devices into PRTG long before they're deployed and I pause the sensor. It's not very helpful for me to have a Warning for 2 weeks while I wait for the device to be deployed. Being able to unpause the sensor also helps me find out if the device was deployed without my knowledge. I'd rather not create the sensor once, wait for it to be deployed, then add it to my aggragate sensor. That's just aksing for me to miss a step.

Thanks

Created on Aug 16, 2019 3:46:44 PM

Votes:

Hello Michael,

I'm not aware that this changed, the current expected behavior is that the sensor shows the warning as soon as one source channel is paused.

There is an internal request open for that, but we cannot tell if or when this is going to change at the moment.

Kind regards,
Felix Saure, Tech Support Team

Created on Aug 19, 2019 1:01:29 PM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.