What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Port Down not alerting in PRTG

Votes:

I have added all my sensors from Cisco core switches to PRTG, so it can see fan, power supply etc, and all my important ports.. I pulled a cable out of the switch to test, but PRTG didnt detect anything, it stayed green? it was down for about 10 seconds. I thought the point was for PRTG to be alerted as soon as this happened? am I missing something?

alert message port

Created on Nov 10, 2015 9:44:18 AM

3 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi Jasys,

The SNMP Traffic Sensor will not be set to an alert state if an interface disconnects by default. You can change the Connection Status Handling within the settings of the sensor to alarm for all disconnected states.

You can use the multi edit feature to apply the changes to multiple sensors. Please note that this will just work for the exact same sensor and channels, otherwise the channels will not be visible in the multi edit window.

Create a list of the sensors: Sensors > By Type > S.. > SNMP Traffic and mark the sensors on the right side to bulk edit them.

Best regards, Felix

Created on Nov 10, 2015 10:13:46 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

what do I need to change the sensor too? Connection Status Handling is an option I cant see?

Created on Nov 10, 2015 10:52:21 AM

Votes:

Hi Jasys,

It's in the settings of the sensor:

SNMP Traffic Sensor Settings - Connection Handling

Best regards, Felix

Created on Nov 10, 2015 11:07:39 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.