What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

usage monitoring with normal router

Votes:

I have two normal routers, without port mirroring or other monitoring mechanism. I plan to follow the below procedure to monitor the traffic in the network. Kindly guide if it is correct.

1. Connect my laptop running PRTG to the router(wifi) to which all other devices are connected.
  2. Make the laptop as the gateway in the this router.
  3. Connect the laptop's wirel LAN to the second router which is connected to internet.
  4. IP forward all packets from wireless device to wired connection (bridge the interfaces in LAPTOP)

Doesnt this make all packets from internet to other devices to pass through the laptop. And thereby PRTG can collect data ?

bandwidth-monitor normal router

Created on Nov 12, 2015 1:02:47 PM

Last change on Nov 13, 2015 1:52:45 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello,

thank you very much for the KB post. If the routing is properly set up on both routers and the laptop this indeed should work.

best regards.

Created on Nov 13, 2015 2:15:41 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.