What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How can I clear "Error in Application Pool State: 'Unavailable'" for App Pool _Total

Votes:

I'm a PRTG newbie. I've just installed x86 PRTG on a Server 2008 R2 machine - it didn't have enough RAM for the x64 version. I installed with AutoDiscovery disabled.

In my AD domain, I created a service user account which I put into a common Server Admins group. I configured this in the Root Group in PRTG.

I picked a server on the network, which happened to be running Server 2008 R2 and IIS 7.5. I checked that the Server Admins group was a member of the local Administrators group on the target server.

In 1st group, I clicked Add Device..., entered the device name. selected an icon and selected 'Automatic device identification (detailed, may create many sensors)'. Sensors started to appear. In all, I got 85 sensors! (I can see that the 100 sensors of the free version isn't going to last long!) Most sensors are green. Three are legitimately orange. One is red and I can't see why:

App Pool _Total Down Error in Application Pool State: 'Unavailable'

It has been up, briefly, apparently:

Last Scan: Last Up: Last Down: Uptime: Downtime: Coverage: Sensor Type: Dependency: Interval: ID: 27 s 13 h 8 m 27 s 0.0736% 99.9264% 100% PerfCounter IIS Application Pool Parent every 60 s #2045

The seven actual App Pools are listed and Up/OK. _Total only exists in Perf Mon.

apppool iis server2008r2

Created on Nov 12, 2015 7:06:47 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi,
I just got feedback from the developer. The _Total Pool should not be added at all as it is only a summarization of all values and therefore has no state itself. So it is safe to delete those sensors querying the _Total Pool. We will change the behaviour in the software accordingly.
Best regards

Created on Nov 18, 2015 3:50:16 PM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

4 Replies

Votes:

Hi,
could you try readding the App Pool sensor? Does _Total show up there? If so, what happens when oyu add the sensor for _Total?

Created on Nov 16, 2015 3:25:52 PM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I've deleted the original sensor and clicked Add Sensor. I selected Target System Type: Windows and Technology Used: Performance Counters and then selected PerfCounter IIS Application Pool. It returned _Total, ASP.NET v4.0 Classic and others. I selected _Total and left Scanning Interval as "inherit from <DEVICENAME>" and clicked Continue. It appeared on the list in grey. After a minute it went back to "Error in Application Pool State: 'Unavailable'".

Created on Nov 16, 2015 4:16:04 PM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi,
I just got feedback from the developer. The _Total Pool should not be added at all as it is only a summarization of all values and therefore has no state itself. So it is safe to delete those sensors querying the _Total Pool. We will change the behaviour in the software accordingly.
Best regards

Created on Nov 18, 2015 3:50:16 PM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Smashing, thanks. I've deleted it.

I'm glad to see you can escalate even comparatively minor issues to the developers and get answers in a reasonable time.

Created on Nov 18, 2015 3:58:28 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.