What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

SSH Disk Free sensor - exclude NFS

Votes:

Hi,

I only have access to the probe, not the PRTG server. I don't want NFS mounted file systems checked by this sensor (-x nfs), as I watch those on the NFS server itself. Is there any way to exclude those without writing my own sensor or wrapper script to the 'df' command? Thanks.

disk nfs prtg ssh

Created on Nov 13, 2015 6:12:10 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

I was able to resolve this for myself with a simple solution for the user we use for the credentials by using this overriding Bash alias to exclude NFS file systems.

alias df='df -TP -x tmpfs -x devtmpfs -x debugfs -x nfs'

Created on Jun 16, 2016 3:19:17 PM

10 Replies

Votes:

Hi Kyle,

In this case your best option is indeed using a script of your own through an SSH Script Sensor.

Kind regards.

Created on Nov 17, 2015 12:31:12 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Understood. I nice feature to consider for this sensor would be to put the options and arguments we'd like to use in the sensor settings.

Created on Nov 17, 2015 12:45:21 PM

Votes:

Hi Kyle,

Thank you for your input, I'll pass it along to our developers.

Kind regards.

Created on Nov 17, 2015 3:37:10 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I have decided to ditch the SSH Disk Free sensor altogether as the limits with individual channels didn't do what I liked. I am using a separate SNMP sensor on each file system that I want to monitor; i.e. not NFS; and I get definitive limits for each one.

Created on Nov 17, 2015 7:23:55 PM

Votes:

Hi Kyle,

Alright, just keep in mind that SNMP Disk Free measurements are somewhat a little different than what "df" does through SSH.

Kind regards.

Created on Nov 18, 2015 8:15:47 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I've registered just to put my name to this request as well - being able to simply modify a sensor without having to create custom scripts would be much more sensible (and efficient in probe sensor usage!) for many scenarios.

@Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]: - Is there a time line of PRTG development so that we can see when requests are being brought in? Is there also a voting system so that customers can "push forward" specific features with regards development priority?

Created on Nov 25, 2015 8:58:27 AM

Votes:

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your feedback, we appreciate it. Please find here more about how feature requests are handled. As for the time-line, there is no Pulic Roadmap, see also our CEO addressing this here.

Kind regards.

Created on Nov 25, 2015 12:25:15 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Any feedback from your developers on the ability to either exclude NFS or use arguments to the sensor, or did this not make the cut with a sufficient bang-for-the-buck value?

Created on Mar 23, 2016 3:29:04 PM

Votes:

Hello Kyle,

I'm afraid that this is only very rarely requested so the prioritization won't be very high. Switching to your own custom script, or to another sensor like the SNMP Disk Free Sensor will indeed be the best way at the moment.

Best regards, Felix

Created on Mar 24, 2016 6:59:42 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Accepted Answer

Votes:

I was able to resolve this for myself with a simple solution for the user we use for the credentials by using this overriding Bash alias to exclude NFS file systems.

alias df='df -TP -x tmpfs -x devtmpfs -x debugfs -x nfs'

Created on Jun 16, 2016 3:19:17 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.