What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

trap receiver messages shows no information

Votes:

I set up a snmp trap receiver for a device that's sending periodic traps. The sensor receives the messages but I don't know what these messages are because there is nothing in the agent, enterprise or bindings columns http://i.imgur.com/vkKcSoF.png. I added the respective MIB in the /MIB directory and used the default settings for the sensor. What could be the problem?

best regards,

Daniela

snmp snmp-sensor trap-receiver

Created on Nov 16, 2015 11:14:35 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello Daniela,

We saw in the Wireshark trace that the device is sending traps using SNMP v3, which is not supported by the sensor. Documentation will be updated to reflect this accordingly.

Kind regards.

Created on Nov 20, 2015 10:20:10 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

8 Replies

Votes:

Hello Daniela,

Could you please provide us the MIB file so we can take a look at it?

Thanks & Kind regards.

Created on Nov 17, 2015 2:57:22 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Erhard,

you can download the mib here https://www.dropbox.com/s/55t9gqgaz6cecdk/WISI-GTDECODE-MIB.mib?dl=0

thanks

Created on Nov 17, 2015 3:08:31 PM

Votes:

Hello Daniela,

Thank you for providing the MIB. I suggest you reply to the notification email you receive to this answer. That way a ticket will be created. Please provide the following details with your reply:

• Screenshot from the sensor's Settings tab
  • Please do a Wireshark trace that captures the SNMP Traps sent from the device to PRTG. See here for basic configuration to capture this traffic, especially UDP port 162 is relevant since it's the default port for SNMP Traps, if not configured otherwise.

Thank you in advance & kind regards.

Created on Nov 18, 2015 9:30:09 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Last change on Nov 18, 2015 9:30:33 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello Daniela,

We saw in the Wireshark trace that the device is sending traps using SNMP v3, which is not supported by the sensor. Documentation will be updated to reflect this accordingly.

Kind regards.

Created on Nov 20, 2015 10:20:10 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

We are running into this issue as well. Seeing that that has been a problem since at least 2015. Any updates? When will this be fixed?

Created on Jun 21, 2018 12:45:37 PM

Votes:

Hello dkordyban,

Support for SNMP v3 traps is currently not planned, since we do not receive much demand for it.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Jun 26, 2018 2:55:09 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello, i would like to suggest to implement it with some haste. We user Commvault backup, and that ONLY works with v3 SNMP Traps and not with older versions. I am unable to use Traps at the moment which is very disturbing for us.

Also i would think that, with the security problems now a days, it should habe been omplemented by now.....

Created on Jan 12, 2021 3:15:31 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

If you want to push die topic, I would recommend to vote for the feature request here: https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/84666-open-snmp-v3-trap-implementation

In this way, we can check the urgency of the request and act accordingly.

Created on Jan 18, 2021 7:55:37 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.