What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Real-time base application monitor

Votes:

Hi

I'm just curious can PRTG monitor the running process in the server? and if yes what sensor it is. Thanks

application monitoring prtg

Created on Nov 17, 2015 2:24:54 AM

12 Replies

Votes:

Hi, Nezky

Did you already have a look at the Windows Process Sensor ?

Created on Nov 17, 2015 7:50:02 AM

Votes:

Yes, but it will just monitor the services you'd like to monitor. how about other running process?how am i going to monitor the running process in the server?which application eat resources. Something you can compare to other sensor like cpu, memory, etc.

Created on Nov 20, 2015 9:10:22 AM

Votes:

How about the ProcessResourceXML sensor ?
This sensor monitors resources used by a process.

Created on Nov 21, 2015 9:35:42 AM

Votes:

Hi

Thanks again for replying in my question, i haven't try to use this sensor but i will try. just one more question how can i monitor the running process in linux and aix? i mean not a specific process but the entire process running on that machine.

Created on Nov 24, 2015 3:20:02 AM

Votes:

You'll probably have to write your own script that uses pidstat (http://www.cyberciti.biz/open-source/command-line-hacks/linux-monitor-process-using-pidstat/)

Created on Nov 24, 2015 12:42:48 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Stephan

i already check the link listed above, just one question how about in windows?is there any script available for windows? Thanks

Created on Nov 27, 2015 10:12:33 AM

Votes:

Not sure if I get it - do you want to run the script on Windows machines?

Created on Nov 27, 2015 1:22:38 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

no i mean is there any way to monitor all running process in server using prtg (linux/unix/windows)?not just concentrating to just particular process?this is valuable in my opinion because we run most of our server in VM esxi so if i can list all running process in every VM then probably we can predict the sizing per server and then maybe we have an overall picture of what are the process running in server. and finally kill those process that is not need in the operation.

sorry for my english :D

Created on Dec 2, 2015 9:27:18 AM

Votes:

Well I have a script that monitors a set of processes on a linux host. However, it only monitors if the process is actually running... Not sure that's what you're looking for :)

Created on Dec 2, 2015 9:52:37 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Stephan,

Thanks for your input but i guess that not what i'm looking for. Are you familiar with sysinternals process explorer of windows? that's what im looking for to be integrated in PRTG. i guess that is nice to have because viruses, worm, botnet, malware are everywhere. Please let me know if you have an alternative work around for this, because my boss look for this type of monitoring.

Created on Dec 3, 2015 1:04:57 AM

Votes:

This will have to be done with a custom sensor, if the process sensor is not sufficient for you. Note that the granularity of the process explorer probably can't be mimicked in PRTG. If you're looking for deep app monitoring solutions, have a look at NewRelic and AppDynamics. They're more specialized in that field than we are :)

Created on Dec 3, 2015 8:32:22 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

This probably will be a pain to integrate. The following PowerShell script will output the processes and their ram usage in byte:

param($target)
$Processes = get-process -ComputerName $target | Group-Object -Property ProcessName
Write-Host '<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><prtg>'
Write-Host (@"
            <result>
                <channel>{0}</channel>
                <value>{1}</value>
                <Unit>Count</Unit>
            </result>
"@ -f "Running processes",$Processes.Count)
foreach($Process in $Processes)
{
    $Obj = New-Object psobject
    $Obj | Add-Member -MemberType NoteProperty -Name Name -Value $Process.Name
    $Obj | Add-Member -MemberType NoteProperty -Name Mem -Value ($Process.Group|Measure-Object WorkingSet -Sum).Sum

Write-Host (@"
            <result>
                <channel>{0}</channel>
                <value>{1}</value>
                <Unit>BytesMemory</Unit>
            </result>
"@ -f $Obj.Name,$Obj.Mem)
}
Write-Host ("<Text>{0} processes are currently running</Text></prtg>" -f $Processes.Count);

Our EXE/Script XML sensor is destined for this :) However, you'll have to make sure that the script sensor needs the setting "Use credentials of parent device" (within the sensor). The credentials entered in the device configuration need administrative privileges on the target host, otherwise it won't work. Enter %host as parameter and you should be all set.

Note that you'll also have a lot of "dead" channels containing no values, depending on the amount of processes (the value will be 0 but the channel won't disappear).

Created on Dec 4, 2015 8:18:35 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.