What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PRTG opens verylarge amount of sessions

Votes:

Hi.

I am monitoring some HP Proliant Servers using their ILO port over SNMP. The servers are located in a different subnet so traffic is routed.

Now PRTG is opening a very high amount of sessions for this monitoring (serveral 1000) - which is eventually forcing my router into overlad.

Does anyone have a hint for me why this happens?

Thx.

Rob.

prtg sessions snmp

Created on Nov 20, 2015 9:15:07 AM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello Rob,
thank you for your inquiry.

SNMP is an extremely lightweight protocol. SNMP queries are usually sent and received in milliseconds, SNMP V3 is more CPU-Intensive but it's still lightweight. The traffic is also UDP which doesn't require connections to be established like in TCP traffic for example.

Nevertheless, to exactly understand what is happening we'll need more details about the issue: The amount of devices, sensors, scanning interval, sensors, and we'd also need to inspect the sessions table. Are the "open" sessions only present for specific devices, or is it for all available devices?

Please feel free to contact us by e-mail or opening a case at www.paessler.com.

Best Regards,

Created on Nov 23, 2015 12:27:58 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.