What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

sipoptionsping sensor

Votes:

Sensor returns error 404

when running manually sipoptionspingsensor -ip=192.168.10.10 -port=5060 -user=prtg -pw=secret -timeout=60 it returns the following xml

<prtg> <error>1</error> <text>No Device found at 192:5060</text> </prtg>

No matter the ip address i use, it outputs only the first octet of the ip address and gives the error 1 Thanks Ronald

prtg sensor sip

Created on Nov 23, 2015 2:02:02 PM

Last change on Nov 24, 2015 2:54:43 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

2 Replies

Votes:

• edit* if i put the ip address in quotes i get a different error. "Device retuned errorcode: 404 not found"

this is an asterisk installation on ubuntu 14.03.

Created on Nov 23, 2015 8:39:31 PM

Votes:

Hello Roland,

Just to be on the safe side I recommend that you use double-quotes for all parameters when executing the sensor manually as this should always work correctly.

As for the 404 error you're getting, it could be that the device is not reachable on this port. If in doubt, you could double-check with a Wireshark Trace to see what happens when executing the sensor from commandline.

Since you're using Asterisk, depending on the version you're using it could be that you're affected by this bug.

If the device is reachable on the specified port and not affected by a bug, it could very well be the case that 404 represents a "valid" returncode. The sensor is performing a sip options ping. This means it sends an "options" message to the server and analyzes the response. More information about the data that is exchanged can be found here.

Some SIP implementations however do not allow this options query and answer with 404 instead, which then basically can be interpreted as "Yes, all up and running but I won't answer your options request."

This circumstance will be addressed in a future release of PRTG where this sensor will be using lookups, which can be altered so that the sensor does not show an error-state when it receives 404 as reply.

Kind regards.

Created on Nov 24, 2015 3:59:51 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.