What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Detect if device behind firewall has internet access

Votes:

Hi,

I have a device that is behind a firewall and should never have internet access. What sensor will allow me to do a query from the device to an IP on the internet and fail if it can make the connection and succeed if the connection is denied?

Thanks for your help.

Todd

access firewall internet prtg

Created on Nov 23, 2015 3:20:36 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

The WMI Remote Ping sensor will ping from the device to another device but it only is to Down status if it cannot ping the target device. I want it to be down if it can reach the target device.

The Ping sensor works in the same and there is a suggestion in the Can I create an inverse Ping sensor? article that documents a work around.

One suggestion for both of these sensors is to have an option similar to the Port sensor. In this sensor there is a setting called Goal with the option of Open or Closed, depending on your requirement for the selected port. In the same way the ping sensors could have a Goal setting with the options of Reachable or Unreachable which could be toggled to add the functionality required.

Created on Nov 24, 2015 8:48:21 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.