What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

issue adding Windows Scheduled Task sensor

Votes:

When i try to add Windows Scheduled Task sensor to a server running w2008 R2 i receive this error message: Timeout (5000 ms)

I've checked the resources suggested by PRTG:

•Requires .NET 4.0 or higher to be installed on the probe system. Note: If the sensor shows the error PE087, please additionally install .NET 3.5 on the probe system. -----> OK

•Requires the Remote Registry Windows service to be running on both the probe and the target system. ----> OK

•Requires Windows credentials in the parent device settings. -----> OK

In fact i've installed previously this sensor in other servers (also running 2008 R2) with no issues.

Any suggestion?

Thanks in advance.

issue prtg sensor

Created on Nov 24, 2015 8:35:23 AM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi cmagana,

The error message indicates that the initial sensor creation time limit of 5 seconds was exceeded. I'm afraid that this is hard coded, but there will be a workaround:

Copy the executable into the sensor directory of PRTG:

C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\Custom Sensors\EXE

Create an Exe/ Script Sensor and pass the parameters

-c=IPaddress -t=NameOfTheTask

This will return the passed days since the last execution and will bypass the time limit issue while creating the sensor.

Best regards, Felix

Important note: The Windows Scheduled Task sensor is deprecated as of PRTG version 16.1.23.

Please see the following article for more details and possible alternatives:

Created on Dec 1, 2015 8:06:56 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Last change on Mar 22, 2016 4:50:54 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

Please manually execute the sensor from the command line and see if it works. The sensor is located in the directory "C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\Sensor System" and named "ScheduledTask.exe". It will require the parameters

ScheduledTask.exe -c=IPaddress -t=NameOfTheTask

Which results do you receive?

Best regards, Felix

Created on Nov 25, 2015 12:54:42 PM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Felix,

I've executed the sensor manually getting this result:

C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\Sensor System>ScheduledTask -c=xxx.xxx.xxx.xx -t=xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Check if Remote Registry Service is running.

Remote Registry Service is running.

Determine local OS major version... 6

Determine remote OS major version... 6

Using Scheduled Task V2

213:Last run 213 minutes ago.

Regards.

Created on Nov 30, 2015 11:07:57 AM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi cmagana,

The error message indicates that the initial sensor creation time limit of 5 seconds was exceeded. I'm afraid that this is hard coded, but there will be a workaround:

Copy the executable into the sensor directory of PRTG:

C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\Custom Sensors\EXE

Create an Exe/ Script Sensor and pass the parameters

-c=IPaddress -t=NameOfTheTask

This will return the passed days since the last execution and will bypass the time limit issue while creating the sensor.

Best regards, Felix

Important note: The Windows Scheduled Task sensor is deprecated as of PRTG version 16.1.23.

Please see the following article for more details and possible alternatives:

Created on Dec 1, 2015 8:06:56 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Last change on Mar 22, 2016 4:50:54 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.