What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Question about Partial down notification

Votes:

Hi at the moment when we get notification emails we are getting a lot of Down Partials.

Is there a way to simplify the notification email so that when all our cluster nodes are down we recieve a notification and when all our cluster nodes are up we get a notification and thats it?

Thanks

alarms down-partial notification-email notifications partial-down ping

Created on Nov 25, 2015 11:07:08 AM

7 Replies

Votes:

Would setting the group dependencies differently help? When the top sensor is the one that is down all the others simply pause and you only get alerts for the top one?

Created on Nov 25, 2015 4:23:51 PM

Votes:

Its not with the sensors i have the issue even if i have one sensor (ping for example) i would still get the partial down as my 2 nodes are reporting different things for a period of time.

What i want is a way for the notification email to report back only when both nodes are up as opposed to one.

Created on Nov 26, 2015 11:42:51 AM

Votes:

Hi Aloth,

All objects located below the so called cluster node are monitored from the master server as well from the fail over server. You can assign a state trigger to the objects which only trigger as soon as both results are down:

When sensor state is "down"

The other trigger would be activated as soon as one of both nodes reports as down

When sensor state is "partial-down"

The condition clears will need to be configured for the down trigger.

Best regards, Felix

Created on Nov 26, 2015 1:22:37 PM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks i have looked but it doesnt seem to do what i want.

at the moment we mainly get and email stating:

"Status Down (was: Down Partial)" when something goes down

and

"Status Down ended (now: Down Partial)"

Occasionally we get:

"Status Up"

but they dont seem to appear every time something clears.

instead of the "Down ended" can we just have the "UP"

Created on Nov 26, 2015 2:31:42 PM

Votes:

Hi Aloth,

Can you please provide a screenshots of the notification triggers which are currently applied?

Best regards, Felix

Created on Nov 27, 2015 7:36:18 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Here you go:

Trigger

Created on Nov 27, 2015 11:31:51 AM

Last change on Nov 27, 2015 1:51:43 PM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Der Aloth,

Thanks for uploading the screenshot. The option

When condition clears after a notification was triggered perform...

will trigger as soon as the alarm status changes. I'm afraid that it will not be possible to filter this trigger for the next status like i.e. paused or partial down, sorry.

Best regards, Felix

Created on Nov 27, 2015 1:49:59 PM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.