What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Templates and Schedule - Changes

Votes:

Hi,

We are using PRTG version 15.4.21.5216

I added a first Windows device to PRTG and put some Performance Counters sensors for memory, processor... and config Upper Error, Upper Warning Limits and these Messages. When all was ok, I created a device template (template1.odt).

In another PRTG group added a few Windows devices, checking the "Automatic sensor creation using specific device template(s)" and selecting the template1. Discovery Schedule is Hourly.

Those new devices discover all the sensors ok.

A few days later, we need to change Upper Error and Warning Limits. So we go in PRTG console to the first Windows device, modify the limits and save the template with the same name (template1.odt).

As the rest of the devices use this template, we expect that in the next discovery schedule (Hourly) they read the changes and apply them. But this doesn't happen. If I add a new device and apply this template, obviously the limits are with the new values.

So... What is the procedure to change a template and wait that all the devices read the changes and apply them.

Regards

discovery prtg schedule templates

Created on Dec 7, 2015 1:45:59 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hi,

I'm afraid changed templates won't affect devices that already used the former version of the template. See also this post.

Kind regards.

Created on Dec 9, 2015 2:28:58 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.