What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Best pratice for monitoring and the time schedule of a HP Switch with Sflow or snmp??

Votes:

Hello,

are there any best practice Guides for monitoring the time schuling a hp switch with prtg with trunks? The default value is 60 seconds? Is this enough for monitor trunks? What should I configure to tis value???

Thank you very much

Dirk Franke

prtg snmp time

Created on Dec 8, 2015 9:42:29 AM

4 Replies

Votes:

Hello everybody,

And does anyone has an idea, what is the best time for monitoring for monitoring trunks?

Thank you in advance.

Dirk

Created on Dec 9, 2015 1:04:31 PM

Votes:

Hi Dirk!

Are you basically asking if 60 seconds is enough to capture all traffic for trunk ports?

Created on Dec 9, 2015 8:14:00 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Good morning Stphan,

thank you for your respone. Yes this is the question. If I would leave the 1 minute for monitoring the trunks a lot can occure in 1 minute, which I dont get to know.

Thank you in advance.

Dirk

Created on Dec 10, 2015 7:01:55 AM

Votes:

PRTG basically measures the traffic difference between two points in time and adds it up. Example:

1. Traffic measurement at 10:00 gives 121 kbit
  2. Traffic measurement at 10:01 gives 150 kbit

This means that within 1 minute 29 kbit of traffic went through the device. That is what you'll see in the graphs. So you'll never miss any traffic, the interval only determines the graph resolution in that case.

Created on Dec 10, 2015 8:15:27 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.