What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Graph/chart a returned SNMP Value

Votes:

I have recently added a SNMP Custom String sensor for a wireless AP zonemanager (Ruckus ZoneDirector to be specific). I have the desired number that it returns, but it only gives me the current live number.

I was wondering if its possible to graph/chart the history of that number as it changes over time?

What we look to accomplish: We want to monitor several AP and to see the number of devices are currently connected to it. We would like to see the historical data from any given AP over time to spot trends/etc.

If I need to provide more information, please let me know.

chart graph prtg ruckus snmp wireless

Created on Dec 8, 2015 10:41:13 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Yes, PRTG can only graph numerical values. The SNMP Custom String sensor handles any value that it reads as a string. The side effect is that it can't display graphs (only when using numerical extraction).

For querying numerical values, the following sensors should be used:

Created on Dec 17, 2015 8:51:03 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Last change on Dec 17, 2015 8:53:33 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

2 Replies

Votes:

Found the solution to this question.

In order to see a graph of a number, you must use the SNMP Custom Advance BETA sensor within your device. Enter in the names and the OID number of the sensor. Select signed integer for your gauge and count as the unit type.

The expected result is to see two items in this sensor, a downtime (because Beta and no way to remove it) and then the name of the sensor for channel #1. It should have a populated integer value and will start to graph that number as it changes on the side.

Created on Dec 17, 2015 8:21:49 PM

Last change on Dec 18, 2015 6:27:16 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Yes, PRTG can only graph numerical values. The SNMP Custom String sensor handles any value that it reads as a string. The side effect is that it can't display graphs (only when using numerical extraction).

For querying numerical values, the following sensors should be used:

Created on Dec 17, 2015 8:51:03 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Last change on Dec 17, 2015 8:53:33 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.