What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

can you load-balance actual probes

Votes:

I have read a few things on load balancing the core server, but i cant see anything for load balancing the probes. For example, if I deploy probe 1 into subnet X with 10 servers in it. Then I loose probe 1, I loose monitoring for the whole subnet X.

So if I then deploy probe 1 and probe 2 into subnet X, I can monitor half the subnet on probe 1 and the other half on probe 2. But then again if i loose probe 1 I loose monitoring on half of subnet X and I need to manually move the object from probe 1 to probe 2 until i can bring probe 1 backup to get back to full monitoring.

Is there a way to load balance the probes within subnet x so the probe 1 and probe 2 monitor the whole subnet together. Then if probe 1 goes down, probe 2 continues monitoring all 10 servers and only notifies me of the failed probe?

thank you in advance

load-balance probe

Created on Dec 9, 2015 4:42:26 PM

2 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi there,

This will be possible, but will require a custom notification using the PRTG API. You can setup two remote probes in the network segment. Both probes will require the same configuration. Pause one of the probes so that the devices are only monitored from one remote probe. Then you can add a state trigger to the Probe Health Sensor of the active remote probe.

Create a new notification and choose Execute HTTP Action and enter the API call

http(s)://YourPRTGServerIP/api/pause.htm?id=objectid&action=1&username=EnterNameHere&passhash=EnterPassHashHere

This call will resume the second probe if the first probe fails.

Best regards, Felix

Created on Dec 11, 2015 1:43:25 PM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

The downside of this is that there will be two individual sensors for every intended sensor. One on the first probe and one on the failover probe.

Reporting on for example the downtime of a device can become a challenge, as the monitoring data is devided between two sensors.

Created on Dec 11, 2015 2:21:16 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.