What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Do I need a different Netflow sensor for each application I track?

Votes:

I have setup Netflow on the distributed switch of our virtual infrastructure. I have also started setting up custom channels to track specific application activity etc. I know that I can add multiple channels to to a single sensor which will show me overall traffic speed/volume for the specified channel, but I am wanting to have a Top Talker/Top Connections graph for just that channel to identify who (by IP, computer name etc) is talking to the application. Am I able to set up multiple custom Top Talker graphs with a single sensor that filter the netflow data to only show the information I want?

I know I can apply filters at the sensor level that will do this, but that would mean that I would need a sensor for each App I am tracking. I was hoping I could define a custom channel (example Channel X) on a sensor and then make a custom graph to display the Top Talker on channel X. Then define another channel on the same sensor, channel Y, and make a custom graph to display the Top Talker for channel Y. Is this possible?

Thanks

Jeremy

channels custom-channel custom-sensor filtering netflow top-talkers

Created on Dec 11, 2015 1:43:24 PM

2 Replies

Votes:

Hi,

yes you would need an individual sensor for each if you need the toplists, sorry.

Created on Dec 14, 2015 8:02:29 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thank you

Created on Dec 14, 2015 3:40:51 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.