What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

CPU Performance on >32 CPU's cause NetPerf 2006 errors in eventviewer

Votes:

When using a CPU performance sensor through WMI against a Windows x64 target machine containing more than 32 processors causes the eventviewer on the x64 target to be flooded with PerfNet 2006 eventid errors. As per internet articles, it seems that the sensor is using a 32-bit process to query a 64-bit target, and a 32-bit process can only query a maximum of 32 processors. Pausing the CPU performance sensor indeed stops the events. Any thoughts on this (bug?)

Greetings, Gerhald.

cpu-performance windows-x64-2008-2012-server wmi

Created on Dec 11, 2015 2:43:40 PM

5 Replies

Votes:

Hi Gerhald,

Are you using the WMI-only or Performance Counter option? You can find this in the settings of the device you added the sensor to (look for Windows Compatibility Options). You should also see in the sensor's log if there are errors regarding Performance Counters or WMI. Switch between those options and see how that works out. Another approach would be to use an SNMP CPU Load Sensor.

Kind regards.

Created on Dec 15, 2015 3:21:43 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,

It is a performance counter based on the 'Windows CPU Load' WMI sensor. As I expected, it only checks a total of 32 processors (as can be seen in the Sensor Details page), and not the 40 that are present in the machine.

Kind regards.

Created on Dec 16, 2015 7:46:50 AM

Votes:

Hello Gerhald,

PRTGs Probe Service (that's the process performing sensor queries) is a 32bit process, which in case of WMI/Performance Counters leads to that specific libraries are used underneath, thus causing those issues. Have you tried the SNMP CPU Load Sensor?

Kind regards.

Created on Dec 16, 2015 3:56:00 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I'm having this issue monitoring DNS queries per second via Performance counter on a server with 40 logical cores. (Dual Socket 10 core with hyper threading)

So for DNS performance monitoring I don't think SNMP would be an option.

In my case it's on windows server 2016 standard.

Created on Jun 27, 2017 2:58:18 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

Is this about the DNS queries or not all cores being monitored?

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Jun 28, 2017 11:43:18 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.