What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PRTG triggers warning every 10 to 15 mins

Votes:

Hi, I recently started using PRTG to monitor my Cyberoam UTMs and Cisco Switches. My PRTG is setup to collect SNMP data from Cyberoam and Cisco, all connections are up and PRTG is doing a great job. Don't know why, for every 10 to 15 minutes most of the sensors triggers warning No response (check: firewalls, routing, snmp settings of device, IPs, SNMP version, community, passwords etc) , they comes back to normal state after a minute or two. Some times port 30 triggers warning some times its 20. Can some one help me know if there are any bugs or configuration guidelines to solve this issue.

Thanks.

snmp snmp-traffic warning

Created on Dec 14, 2015 7:04:58 AM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Thanks for your responses, a very valuable information. I figured the root cause for this issue, it was due to multiple Ethernet cards for my host system and both connected to different VLANs. When I disabled the unwanted Ethernet, the warnings went off. Is there an option to divert all PRTG traffic to a perticular Ethernet port?

Created on Dec 15, 2015 5:24:07 AM

5 Replies

Votes:

Hi,

what scanning interval are you using? Ping sensor on the devices constantly works and shows no errors/drops?

Created on Dec 14, 2015 8:05:35 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I am using 30 sec interval, there are few ping sensor drops too.

Created on Dec 14, 2015 8:34:00 AM

Votes:

please try with longer intervals.

Could be possible that your devices actively block the traffic after some time due to flood protection.

Check the logs on your devices and check if they do have some sort of flood protection.

Some devices also do not update their SNMP counters that often so that a 30sec interval makes no sense anyways.

Created on Dec 14, 2015 12:27:30 PM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Thanks for your responses, a very valuable information. I figured the root cause for this issue, it was due to multiple Ethernet cards for my host system and both connected to different VLANs. When I disabled the unwanted Ethernet, the warnings went off. Is there an option to divert all PRTG traffic to a perticular Ethernet port?

Created on Dec 15, 2015 5:24:07 AM

Votes:

Hello,

on the PRTG server itself, please start the PRTG Administration Tool from the PRTG program group.

On the tab "Probe Settings for Monitoring" you can select the NIC that the PRTG Probe should use for its monitoring.

The default is "auto", so you might want to change that to the desired NIC.

A restart of the probe service will be required.

Created on Dec 15, 2015 7:33:58 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Last change on Dec 15, 2015 7:34:11 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.