What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

SNMP Traffic Sensor

Votes:

Hi

I have 70 Computers that are workgroups(not AD) and connected to two same switch I install PRTG network Monitor ver 15.1.on one of these computers as a server. all the computers model are the same. I want to monitor network traffic on these computers so first of all deactivated Firewall for the pc that I want to monitor and the computer with PRTG(Server) and activated SNMP and WMI features from Program and features installation in windows and also set community string to public for both of them and also start SNMP services from Services. MSc in windows run. but I can not add SNMP Traffic Sensor and get PE244 error(Sensor does not get a response from the device. Either SNMPv3 credentials are wrong or the device does not support the required uptime OID (1.3.6.1.2.1.1.3.0) for traffic sensors. This OID is mandatory by the SNMP RFC. Check the SNMP access rights in the device or contact the device vendor.) I should ad this that I change version of SNMP to 1 or 2c or 3 .but the strange thing is that when I used auto discovery on my network by the program for one of my computers without activating SNMP feature in windows,the sensor traffic added automatically for that computer and also for one another computer SNMP traffic sensor added to it's IP Address on server one day after activating SNMP Features in windows .but for the other computers with activated SNMP Features set Public for Community String Started SNMP and firewall off, that was not possible to add SNMP Traffic Sensor!

My question is that, is there any other or special Configuration for computers or Switches?

Yours Sincerely

oid sensor snmp

Created on Dec 14, 2015 6:21:36 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello,

the devices you want to monitor need to accept SNMP requests from the PRTG hosts.

e.g. for Windows Clients/Server you have to install and enable the SNMP service. In the SNMP service settings you have to create a community (default would be "public" for read only) and you have to configure that the clients accept SNMP requests from the PRTG host.

for routers/switches the same applies. you have to set a community, and on a lot of devices you need to configure/enter the host that is allowed to send SNMP requests to the device.

To easily test SNMP connectivity, you can use our free SNMP Tester

https://www.paessler.com/tools/snmptester

you can simply start the tester on your PRTG server and scan for device uptime against your devices to check connectivity.

Created on Dec 16, 2015 12:26:01 PM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.