What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Adding custom SNMP Library causes 100% CPU server load?

Votes:

Hello,

I added a library for F5 Load Balancers to the snmplib. I followed the MIB Importer instructions and they seemed to import just fine. Well I had one issue, but I just had to remove a comma from the .txt file and that fixed the problem.

However, now when I try to use the Library to create a custom monitor using the SNMP Library sensor type, it starts the preparing sensor settings, but then comes to a halt. When I logged into the server, the CPU load was 100%. I cancelled the preparing sensors and the CPU load normalized shortly afterwards.

I'm wondering if the Library I imported for F5 was too big? Is that possible? The text file I loaded was 600 lines long. That was only one MID library I loaded of like 10 or more from F5.

prtg snmp snmp-library

Created on Dec 15, 2015 3:24:23 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hallo,

it is absolutely possible that the library is too big and that PRTG runs into a timeout during the meta scan.

You could load the library into our free SNMP Tester

https://www.paessler.com/tools/snmptester

and run it against your F5 and check what you get and how long it runs.

In the MIB Importer you do have the option to only select counters you need to be imported.

In the MIB importer after loading the MIB select File in the menu bar and select "Enable Partial Selection"

Created on Dec 16, 2015 12:35:10 PM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.