What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

IMAP Roundtrip with IBM Notes Mail

Votes:

Hello,
I have configured IMAP Rountrip sensor for using in an IBM Notes mailbox. The mails arrive the box, also IMAP access to that mailbox works, which I tested with telnet from the same machine where PRTG is installed. Nevertheless the sensor always fails with the following result: "Checking for Messages: Maximum Trip Time exceeded (giving up)".

I played a bit with Maximum Trip Time and changed to 600. I got the following result:

"Connecting to IMAP Server: Failed to establish secure connection [Step 0] Socket Error # 10061 Connection refused. 
[Step 1] Socket Error # 10061 Connection refused. [Step 2] Socket Error # 10061 Connection refused. 
[Step 3] Socket Error # 10061 Connection refused. [Step 4] Socket Error # 10061 Connection refused. 
[Unsecure] Connection Closed Gracefully."

After changing the parameter back to 300 the result is again "Maximum Trip Time exceeded". The result was the same with 600 afterwards, of course.

My question is: did you ever use the sensor with IBM (Lotus) Notes mailboxes?

May I ask you an additional question hereby? Is there a chance to extend the sensor to check a forwarding address? I will explain you what my intention is:

1. send a mail from [email protected] to [email protected].
  2. forward the mail with a rule in mailbox of recipient to a third address, i.e. [email protected] (this might be [email protected] to get what I want to have)
  3. check message in mailbox of [email protected]

The advantage of this process is that we prove the mail routing in both directions and not only from one domain to the other.

Thanks for any feedback Dietmar

imap lotus-notes roundtrip

Created on Dec 22, 2015 1:10:37 PM

Last change on Sep 29, 2017 12:11:31 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

5 Replies

Votes:

Hi,
It seems the sensor is running into an issue while negotiating the encryption type. Could you possible try if a normal IMAP Sensor works here to make suer PRTG and Lotus are able to talk to each other at all?
Also, checking forwarding addresses is not possible.
Best regards

Created on Dec 23, 2015 2:57:47 PM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for your suggestion. No wonder, I get the following error with IMAP sensor: Connection refused Socket Error # 10061 Connection refused. (socket error # 10061).

Since I cannot find any related message on Domino I'd like to ask you if and where I can probably find additional information in PRTG.

Regarding my question of checking forwarding address, I know that it currently not possible. So take it as a feature request. It's up to you whether or not you will implement it in PRTG, just a thought ...

Thanks again

Created on Dec 23, 2015 5:41:37 PM

Votes:

PRTG is not logging any further information here. Could you check the tab Settings of the sensor if the correct ports, ssl versions and so on are set up.
As regarding the forwarding addresses, I will forward your request but cannot guarantee if or when it gets approved.

Created on Dec 24, 2015 12:29:26 PM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

HI, thanks for your effort on the topic. I checked the settings and I cannot find a mistake. I did it in a similar way with an Exchange account which works like a charm. For the Domino account telnet works with port 143 which I use in the sensor setting, see below (Note: both on the same machine). Since I believe that the connection is not refused by the Domino server, it seems to happen before. Firewall? I do not believe that either, because I get the connection via port 143 with telnet. I tried to see more information with " Write sensor result to disk" in the settings of "Sensor Behavior", but not any file is written to the disk. Question: do you use IMAP the same way as in my telnet exaqmple?

• OK Domino IMAP4 Server Release 9.0.1FP3 ready Tue, 29 Dec 2015 10:38:52 +0100 a1 login fit_user * a1 OK LOGIN completed a2 list "" "*"
  • LIST (\Noinferiors \HasNoChildren) "
    " Inbox
  • LIST (\Noinferiors \HasNoChildren) "
    " Trash a2 OK LIST completed a3 select inbox
  • 215 EXISTS
  • 0 RECENT
  • OK [UNSEEN 2] Message 2 is first unseen
  • OK [UIDVALIDITY 3] UIDs valid
  • OK [UIDNEXT 2121] Predicted next UID
  • FLAGS (\Flagged \Seen \Answered \Deleted \Draft)
  • OK [PERMANENTFLAGS (\Flagged \Seen \Answered \Deleted \Draft \*)] Permanent flags a3 OK [READ-WRITE] SELECT completed

Created on Dec 29, 2015 10:07:11 AM

Votes:

There would basically be one last thing you can try. You can set up PRTG to relay notifications through the lotus notes server.
I assume this won't work either but here the logging possibilities are much better. You can set up Notification Delivery Logging to see what is going wrong here.
This will write an extensive logfile to the disk which outlines every step PRTG does to send the email.
Does the log show anything unusual?

Created on Dec 29, 2015 12:56:43 PM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.