What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Need two new Placeholders for Upper and Lower Warning Limits

Votes:

I would like Placeholders made for: Upper Warning Limit [unit] = %UpperWarningLimit Lower Warning Limit [unit] = %LowerWarningLimit

Currently, this is my setup.

In one of the Sensor Comment Sections I but the following (values do change): The Threshold values are set between 50 and 84 °F. -------------- When a Warning happens and I receive a text or email, I have setup the message to show the following:

Text Subject: Environmental Alert at %group: %shortname - %lastvalue

Text Body: Environmental Alert!!!

Building %group, Probe: %shortname is %lastvalue. %commentssensor Probe has been above threshold since %since --------------

Here is what the text look like when Placeholders are filled in:

In the Text Subject: Environmental Alert at CA3: #1 HW Lab Temp - Row B4 - 89 °F (Temperature)

In the Text Body: Environmental Alert!!!

Building CA3, Probe: #1 HW Lab Temp - Row B4 is 89 °F (Temperature). Sensor Comments

The Threshold values are set between 50 and 84 °F.

Probe has been above threshold since 12/17/2015 12:04:43 PM

-----------------------

As you can see; %commentssensor wastes space. And if someone changes the upper or lower warning values and forgets to change the sensor comments for any of the sensor probes it looks really messy.

I would like to use something like: Building %group, Probe: %shortname is %lastvalue. The Threshold values are set between %LowerWarningLimit and %UpperWarningLimit °F.

By doing this I would not need the comment section for what I am using it for.

custom-notification notification-email placeholders

Created on Dec 23, 2015 10:50:07 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Dear jengel

Thank you for your suggestion. However, the comments section is the way to go as limits are channel-based, while the sensor status is sensor-based. If a new sensor status is triggered by a channel limit, the sensor status message changes accordingly but the sensor status itself does not know which channel was responsible for the limit. (It could also be the case that multiple channels trigger at the same time.)

I agree that the method with the comments field feels redundant, but there is no other way.

Created on Dec 24, 2015 1:48:22 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for your answer; we have since upgraded to 16.1.21.1691.

Could a placeholder be used in the %commentssensor section and automatically be updated when the %UpperWarningLimit or %LowerWarningLimit warning value get changed? That would work for me. Whatever channel is called out and displayed would always be the correct values.

Created on Feb 29, 2016 11:23:28 PM

Votes:

Dear jengel

The history tab of a sensor also shows property changes like limit changes, though using internal node IDs and raw numeric data which is hard to interpret as a user. It is also not feasible to extract this data for notifications.

We have currently no plans to expand on our placeholders. I am sorry, it is also not possible to extract the current channel limits via the PRTG API. The sensor message, which is shown in notifications, usually shows the triggered channel(s) with their current limit which triggered the status change. Any further custom information can only be provided with the comments fields.

Created on Mar 1, 2016 12:12:24 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.