What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Structural error in xml file, 8 open items.

Votes:

Hello. I am currently testing trial version 15.3.19.4027 and encountering this problem, if i do _any_ change on system setup. I.e. I can't test email or change notification options or change view or anything else. The error from core server log below

24.12.2015 14:00:41 Startup: Loading Configuration File: C:\ProgramData\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor\PRTG Configuration.dat 24.12.2015 14:00:45 Startup: Loading Configuration File: Error (Structural error in xml file, 8 open items.)

The only answer i found - use backup but this makes no sence since i must revert all settings.

Thanks in advance.

configuration error startup xml

Created on Dec 24, 2015 11:18:14 AM

4 Replies

Votes:

Dear Anton

This error indicates a damaged configuration file. The only remedy is to use an older, working configuration from the automatic daily configuration backup.

The configuration file, PRTG Configuration.dat (usually located in "C:\ProgramData\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor") uses XML. You can open it in a text editor. According to the error message, this file is truncated and therefore cannot be parsed.

Version 15.3.19 is rather old. Please use the current PRTG 15.4.21 version.

Created on Dec 24, 2015 1:36:53 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Update solved the problem, thanks.

Created on Dec 24, 2015 7:30:48 PM

Votes:

Hi guys, we came across the same issue and we found out that there is an extra empty line at the end of the PRTG Configuration.dat file.

In order to fix, open the last backup PRTG Configuration.dat file in notepad and go to the end of it, you will find extra empty line, delete it and restart the PRTG core service and you should be good to go :)

Cheers!

Created on Dec 7, 2016 9:21:21 AM

Votes:

There should be no damage to the configuration. If you have a file which seems to be damaged by PRTG, please backup that file for review and contact [email protected].

Created on Dec 7, 2016 12:25:27 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.