What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Strange Issue - RPC Server not accessible

Votes:

Hello,

I have just recently setup a PRTG Cluster, this consists of 3 Servers at 3 different locations...........

I have some servers not talking properly to one of the PRTG Cluster Servers, checking the sensor and under Cluster Node the PRTG Cluster Server is saying:

WMI: Connection could not be established (Port Error : RPC Server not accessible. - Host: XXXX-vhost1.XXXXX.internal, User: XXXXXXX, Password: **, Domain: ntlmdomain:XXXXXX (code: PE015) -- PerfCounter: Unable to connect to the specified computer, or the computer is offline. (Performance Counter error 0x800007D0)

The two other PRTG Nodes are all happy and green (OK), I also have other servers\devices within this group all happy on all three nodes

(Note I have amended the above error with XXXXX for secutiry reasons)

Checking Event Viwer on the PRTG Cluster Node I noiced this:

DCOM was unable to communicate with the computer XXXX-VHOST1 using any of the configured protocols; requested by PID 86c (E:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\Sensor System\UserLoggedin.exe).

HELP!!!!!!!

rpc snmp wmi

Created on Dec 24, 2015 10:14:25 PM

2 Replies

Votes:

Dear itian

To fix this issue, please have a look at our WMI sensor article which lists the prerequisites for WMI communication. WMI uses DCOM, which in turn needs port 135 to establish a connection.

Created on Dec 25, 2015 1:17:43 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Last change on Dec 25, 2015 1:18:38 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks - I;ve sorted it now.

My Cisco ASA 5510 didnt have the rule in place

Created on Dec 25, 2015 8:12:25 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.