What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How to use it for home monitoring ?

Votes:

I would like to know the bandwidth, pings of all devices. Right now it only shows the host device and the printer. what about the phones , laptops ? how can I limit the bandwidth and have have control over it ? what is SNMP and how to activate it ? I cant find answers for these questions all over the web. I just downloaded the program and have no idea how to use it.

thanks.

home router snmp

Created on Dec 28, 2015 8:59:22 AM

1 Reply

Votes:

Dear user

To monitor devices, they have to be added as a device in PRTG using their host name, or their IP. If your laptop uses a fixed IP address, you can use that one to add it to PRTG. If it is a Windows laptop, please enter Windows credentials into the "Settings" tab of that device. Once this is done, you can perform an auto-discovery, or use the recommendation feature which shows a set of sensors which can be created.

PRTG cannot be used to manage / limit bandwidth, but it can be used to monitor bandwidth using an array of protocols. Please find more details in this [[ttps://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/2923|article]].

SNMP is one if the main protocols used for network monitoring. SNMP just means "Simple Network Management Protocol". Please find our introductory SNMP article here.

Created on Dec 28, 2015 12:54:36 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.