What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

VMware vCenter Server Virtual Appliance 6.0 SNMP Disk Sensor

Votes:

Hello, I am trying to add an SNMP Disk Free sensor to monitor a VMware vCenter Server Virtual Appliance 6.0 SNMP is enabled on the vCenter and SNMP CPU Load works for example. Does anyone know how to or was able to edit the snmpd.conf (persistent) on the vCenter in order to enable the disk sensor?

Thanks.

snmp vcenter vcsa6

Created on Dec 28, 2015 3:56:03 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hi,

Most likely this will not be possible for hosts running an ESXi. The SNMP agent will not be able to provide the information of the underlying hardware. Please follow this link for a detailed explanation.

Best regards, Felix

Created on Dec 30, 2015 6:22:25 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

This is what I configured on vCenter OS (5.5. but it should be very similar)

cat > /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf << EOF
syslocation xxx
syscontact xxx
rocommunity public xxx
EOF
cat >> /etc/hosts.allow << EOF

snmpd: ALL : ALLOW
EOF
chkconfig snmpd on
/etc/init.d/snmpd start

These are my configured SNMP sensors on vCenter server. (via prtgshell PowerShell module)

Get-PrtgDeviceSensors -DeviceId 2089 | Select-Object -Property Sensor

sensor
------
PING vcenter
Disk Free: /
Disk Free: /storage/core
Disk Free: /storage/log
Disk Free: /storage/db
Load Avg
Meminfo
CPU Load

Edit from Paessler Support: Removed the private information

Created on Jan 5, 2016 5:45:55 PM

Last change on Jan 6, 2016 10:19:00 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for the replies. @ virgilwashere

I already got it working on 5.5 But on 6.0, the snmpd.conf is persistent and the system does not let you edit it. Even if you do, when you restart the snmpd service, it restores the file to its original state.

Created on Jan 10, 2016 11:01:50 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.