What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Dependency for SMS alert

Votes:

We defined a device with a number of sensors. If a sensor fails I get a SMS/Text message. If another sensor fails later I got another SMS. This results in too many SMS messages. I'd like this behavior: - If a sensor fails, the device is in error state, 1 SMS is send; - If another sensor fails, but the device already was in an error state NO sms should be send.

New SMS are only send again if device was okay again.

alerts dependency sms

Created on Dec 30, 2015 3:47:40 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

How is the SMS notification itself configured (Always notify ASAP / Send First Down and Up ASAP, Summarize Others / ....)? If the device itself is completely down (not reachable by Ping), you can set the Ping Sensor to be "Master for parent object" in the settings of the according Ping Sensor, meaning all sensors of the device will be paused as long as its Ping Sensor is down. See also the Manual on Dependencies for more information.

Kind regards.

Created on Jan 1, 2016 11:22:27 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks Erhard, I know that I can setup the Ping as master; The situation is that the server is not down only some processes are not working fine. After the first SMS from a sensor, a system engineer will have a look anyway. In the meanwhile I don't want SMSes from other sensors of that device.

Created on Jan 4, 2016 8:02:39 AM

Votes:

Ok, I see, in this case it won't work very well with the "notification logic". Sure, you could configure the notification to send first Down and Up messages asap and summarize others, while the period for summarization can be set to a higher value like 15 minutes. That way you would only get the down notification for the first sensor that went down.

The downside however is that this logic applies to all sensors that trigger this notification, which would lead to getting maybe a down notification from another sensor, while others will be only mentioned in the summary after 15 minutes.

To achieve what you want, you could first configure the regarding sensors to not send notifications at all. Then set up a Business Process Sensor containing the desired sensors and configure there when notifications shall be sent.

Kind regards.

Created on Jan 4, 2016 11:16:29 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.