What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Working with MANY probes

Votes:

So, I recently installed the remote probe on my pool of servers to reduce load on the core installation. Specifically, I need 3 WMI sensors per device, and with 300+ servers it was really crushing the core's performance and reliability. So that's done. and the load distribution did it's job. But I'm running into some 'growing pains' since the change. So I guess this is both a request for answers and I'm sure some will be a request for features.

1) a scriptable solution for installing the remote probe. a few command line switches would really speed up installations.

2) Grouping devices under Root. Again scale this out to hundreds of probes and groups at the devices/Root level would be a life saver. This includes Sensor Settings Inheritance.

3) It would be nice to me able to move a sensor from one probe to another. and I mean move not copy. it sucks loosing years worth of trending data because you're trying to distribute load on a growing system.

ps, the new business sensor is nice, I really like the way you can select sensors without defining the sensor IDs, but the values of those sensors are often important, not just an up/down. if the business process could have the values or if sensor factory could have this method of sensor selection that would be great.

prtg-network-monitor-8-x remote-probes sensor-factory wmi-sensors

Created on Dec 31, 2015 3:31:13 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Dear Ryan

Thank you for your input. Currently we recommend to stay below 30 remote probes (60 probes if each probe uses less than 100 sensors.) Larger installations can work, but are not as easy to administrate. We aim to expand our support for larger installations, but this is a process.

For the time being, we plan to continue to use our object hierarchy, meaning devices can be put onto a probe or group, but you cannot put probes into groups. A kind of workaround would be to manually move the probe positions in the tree, and label probes in a way that their function/position is clear. A device needs a probe, grouping devices under root without a probe is not possible.

We also discuss if, and how we can offer a more flexible object structure. No decision has been made yet, but we recognize increasing demand for better object organisation.

Historic sensor data is stored per device, which means sensor data cannot be moved to other devices. However you can move entire devices around. This will not change in the foreseeable future.

I agree that the object tree is not always the best solution, especially for large setups. We have a lot of discussions how we can improve object handling.

To evaluate sensor channel data, please use the sensor factory. While much more complex to use, it covers that functionality. The business process sensor as an easy-to-use option to just compute a sensor status using other statuses. While I cannot give you any dates or time frames yet, we plan to offer a better user interface for the sensor factory.

Created on Jan 1, 2016 1:09:53 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.