What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How to Monitor All Traffic Between Router and Internet Modem

Votes:

I have satellite internet due to no other viable options in my rural setting. However, I've noticed lately that my usage according to the provider are usually close to double what my router traffic stats are. In fact, one week they were triple.

My router does not support SNMP or have port monitoring. I need to be able to figure out whether the ISP's figures are correct or my router's. Also, if the ISP's figures are correct, I want to track down where the extra usage is coming from and find out why it isn't showing up on the router's traffic stats.

We have several wireless devices that connect with the router - 5 Windows machines (3 desktops and 2 laptops) and a Mac laptop. There are also 3 XBoxes, a Wii, 4 smart phones, a few iPods and iPads. Plus there are 2 printers (one wifi, one wired). So, monitoring all the devices seems to be an impossibility. But everything goes through the router which has a single ethernet connection to the modem. Nothing connects to the modem directly.

The modem is a Hughs HT1000. The router is NetGear WNDR3700v3.

So as far as I can see there are 3 options:

Option 1: I am thinking of putting a gigabit switch between the modem and router, and then having my PC hardwired to the switch to monitor all the traffic. Will a simple switch be able to pull this off?

Option 2: Replace the router with a more expensive version that has SNMP capabilities. I don't know how much this would cost me, and the configuration is probably more complicated.

Option 3: Update the firmware on my current router to something like DD-WRT which has SNMP capability. I'm worried that this will be more complicated and potentially mess up the router.

bandwith isp-usage-stats router-to-modem

Created on Jan 5, 2016 6:41:23 PM

2 Replies

Votes:

Hi LoneWolfMuskoka,

All of your proposals will work, I personally would either go for a new router or a new switch, but in the end this will be your decision. There will also be the possibility to use a Network TAP to duplicate the traffic and forward the results to the PRTG server via an additional NIC. You can then use the Packet Sniffer Sensor to analyze the traffic.

Best regards, Felix

Created on Jan 7, 2016 1:11:13 PM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks Felix. It sounds like a tap would be the best solution, but from what I can see they are rather pricey and would require an extra NIC in my PC to monitor both outgoing and incoming traffic.

At this point I am leaning towards using a switch between the router and modem. I have a sneaky suspision that this will be more complicated than I'm hoping for 8=)

I'd vote your reply up, but I don't have enough reputation yet. Thanks again!

Created on Jan 8, 2016 2:46:02 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.