What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

File Sensor for rotating log files

Votes:

I have set up a PRTG sensor, to find a specific phrase within an application logfile. The sensor works fine, I've caused the application to write the phrase & the sensor fired with a message saying XXX was found on line 465.

The problem is that the application rotates the logfiles, so the file periodically gets its contents blanked & starts writing again from the start. Would the PRTG sensor cope with this ? i.e. if the phrase went in at line 465, the logfile was then rewritten & the application logged the same phrase at line 200. Would PRTG wait until the line number went beyond 465, or would it realise that the entry at line 200 was caused by the file rewritting ?

Thank you.

logfile rotating sensor

Created on Jan 7, 2016 12:22:48 PM

2 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello,

After the next scan the sensor disply the error message "was found in line 200".

Created on Jan 8, 2016 1:31:40 PM by  [email protected]

Votes:

Thank you for the reply ! :)

Created on Jan 8, 2016 2:13:54 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.