What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

use ping more as loggin?

Votes:

hey

we have a wish to use som ping sensor more for logging, so we like it to stay green rather then red when icmp timeout happens. i read som old topic that said it was not possible is it still not possible to make the sensor stay green when ping timeout and just logging it?

i read there is a pingwarning custom sensor out there. Will it have a huge impact on the resource usage or is it renesable to have 5-10 custom sensor of the custom ping warning?

Regard Hea

alarm noalarm notifications ping sensor

Created on Jan 13, 2016 12:20:57 PM

4 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi Hea,

You can also try the StatisticalPingXML sensor.
it pings a comma separated list of hosts for statistical reasons and requires only one instance.

Created on Jan 13, 2016 2:28:33 PM

Votes:

it look like its what i am lokking for i just having issue to get it working..

i have enter the following in the parameter "-h=192.38.7.12"

..and set the radius button to "Write EXE result to disk". I got the following error:
Response not wellformed: (<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><prtg><result><Channel>192.38.7.12</Channel><Unit>Custom</Unit><CustomUnit>msec</CustomUnit><Float>0</Float><Value>-1</Value><LimitMode>1</LimitMode><LimitMinWarning>0</LimitMinWarning><LimitWarningMsg>No Response</LimitWarningMsg></result><Text>Ok</Text></prtg> )" (code: PE132)"

i am running on PRTG Network Monitor 15.3.18.3616 x64 Windows Server 2012 (6.2.2 Build 9200 ), 2 CPUs (Double x64 Model 63 Step 0)

what i am doing wrong?

Created on Jan 14, 2016 10:18:13 AM

Last change on Jan 14, 2016 10:27:17 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Hea,

Could it be that you mistakenly added the sensor as a Exe/Script sensor
instead off a Exe/Script Advanced sensor ?

Created on Jan 14, 2016 11:35:15 AM

Votes:

hey

ahh i dindt know it should be in that folder.

thx alot for the help yer it look like it will dou the trick :D it can make green pings so thats is good, now there is only left to see how many reource of the system it take, but ping should be minimal by design :)

thx agin

Created on Jan 14, 2016 12:03:59 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.