What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

WMI CPU sensor works, but Memory and Disk usage fail with (Connection could not be established (8007

Votes:

So We have an HP Proliant server running 2012 r2. I've checked all the steps in the "So my WMI sensors don't work" guide. What's strange is, the CPU WMI sensor works, and the WMI sensors on every other server work. It's just this one. I tried the WMI tester and recieved no error. I've also rebooted a few times.

What else can I try?

(I also tried SNMP sensors. Installed the HP software, configured SNMP the same way we have on other servers, and I can't add them, I get no response -2003 error) We have other HP servers too that this hasn't been an issue with.

hp-proliant-health snmp-sensor wmi-free-disk-sensor

Created on Jan 14, 2016 9:58:05 PM

4 Replies

Votes:

Not all WMI queries are the same. While some may work, others have different "needs" like requiring higher access rights of the user performing the queries. These errors like the one you have come directly from the operating system and are "only" reflected by PRTG to the user, meaning the "root" of the problem is somewhere outside PRTG itself.

You can use our WMI Tester to perform these queries manually. Make sure to do this from the server that performs the sensor queries (PRTG Core Server or Remote Probe in question).

Try different scenarios with WMI-Tester like using FQDN instead of IP and vice versa. Same goes for the user credentials, try different users to see how it impacts the result. Since this is a HP server I am not sure if maybe the iLO interface may be a factor here. Are you targeting the iLO interface in PRTG or the device's regular network interface? Try both variations to see what happens.

As for the SNMP sensors: Check this entry about setting up SNMP in Windows. Make sure SNMP service is running and that SNMP queries are accepted from different hosts than localhost (which is mostly the default setting).

Kind regards.

Created on Jan 18, 2016 1:32:57 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Since I created a new group in AD for my PRTG User, the memory and disk size WMI sensors didn't work anymore.

I tried all recommandations i found here, for the other server it solved this issue, but on my PDC the sensors still got this error:

Connection could not be established (code: PE015)

Then i restarted the Probe and the sensors are fine.

Maybe it helps someone else.

Created on Jan 24, 2018 8:49:28 AM

Votes:

I am getting the same issue, PIng and disk space sensor are working but the Memory sensor is failing. Kindly help

Created on Jan 7, 2021 7:01:12 PM

Votes:

Hey there Sandeep,

Please check the What are the most common errors when monitoring WMI? article. Such error messages are ususally thrown by the targets DCOM or WMI system and PRTG simply shows the values as they come.

Restarting the target may help in some situations. Beside that I'd suggest to work through the linked article as it addresses the most common issues with WMI.

Best,
Sebastian

Created on Jan 8, 2021 8:22:06 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.