What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Custom Sensor / Custom Formula

Votes:

Hi,

I have a number of custom mibs that I have imported into PRTG. They are all working without issue. I run a multitude of reports against these custom mibs that are very helpful. However, I have a question about creating a custom sensor. Below is an example of what I would like to do:

• Sensor 1: Custom OID #1: Counter of total number of assignment commands.
  • Sensor 2: Custom OID #2: Counter of total number of assignment success.

I would like to create a custom sensor (Sensor 3) that would subtract the number of success's (Sensor 2 noted above) from total number of commands (Sensor 1 noted above). This would give me the total number of failures and allow me to report on it.

Is this possible within PRTG? If so, can someone post a procedure?

Lastly, how complicated can I get with the operators? Can I do multiple operations to create a custom sensor? Creating percentages for example?

Thank You,

Matt M.-------

custom-report custom-sensor formula

Created on Jan 15, 2016 2:48:33 PM

Last change on Jan 18, 2016 7:36:11 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

2 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello Matt,
we appreciate your contact.

Yes, it is possible to create new sensors which will perform operations based on the results from other active sensors in your PRTG. The sensor to be used for this is the Sensor Factory Sensor.

The link above will take you to the sensor's manual page, but I've located a few other KB-entries related to the subject:

Best Regards,

Created on Jan 18, 2016 7:40:10 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

This is great thank you.

Yes, I saw the snippets in the manual, but it still wasn't super clear to me.

Thanks Again,

Matt-------

Created on Jan 19, 2016 5:54:03 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.