What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

RADIUS v2 sensor: change status of "authentication fails"

Votes:

Dear PRTG,

I´m using RADIUS v2 sensor and want to monitor whether a service is running.

Reading https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/radius_v2_sensor it is said:

"If authentication fails, the sensor shows a Down status."

Well, when I get an "authentication fails" as response from a RADIUS server, the RADIUS service is still running. Therefore I would like to change the status for "authentication fails" to "Up" status for that specific sensor.

How can I change the meaning for the "authentication fails" event?

change down radius status

Created on Jan 19, 2016 9:10:40 AM

1 Reply

Votes:

The sensor interprets the response by using a so-called lookup. Click on the channel "RADIUS Code" to open its channel settings. You can set the lookup in the dropdown to "None" which will cause the sensor to always be "green". The only way it would turn into "error" would be if the service does not respond, which sounds like what you want.

If you want to tinker with the lookup file itself, it is located in C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\lookups and can be edited using a texteditor. Beware however that changes to those default lookup files will be overwritten with every update of PRTG. Changing the sensor to use no lookup however is not affected by this.

Created on Jan 20, 2016 3:02:03 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.